Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Breaking My Stride

Morning Meds 4.6

Breaking My Stride

Though this phrase normally refers to someone being pulled off their game, this week I had an awesome experience breaking a perceived barrier.

Perhaps I’ve been inspired by a certain tri-athlete, who shall for not much longer remain nameless. And perhaps my mom’s competitive streak is coming out in me, but I’m not too keen on having a running buddy who has to slow down a bunch for me.

So last week, the first time in a while I’ve gotten to run without a dog by my side, I got the thought to stretch my legs out a bit, pretend like I was my long-legged daughter Michaela. And sure nuff I did it! Then after about 2 years of running at this same comfy pace, I actually got faster! I was like, I wonder how long I can keep this up without exhaustion. But I just kept going and going.

For someone who only works out to maintain her weight, this was really exhilarating. So I’m making goals now, gonna run a 5K this fall. And I’m excited to see what all happens!

You ever stop to wonder if you’re more of a “tough mudder” than you thought? (That’s more competition language for you newbies.) Look for ways to push past your weaknesses this week. Stretch your legs a bit and share your journey with someone else who needs encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment