Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Good Grief


Morning Meds 4.10
Good Grief
 
Hey guys,

I have a friend. A friend of 20 years, a friend through thick and thin. A friend whose daughter died this week. And he wrote this beautiful Facebook post about screw your prayers for peace. And he put it much better than that. But I so get it. And it's called Good Grief, because if nothing you can say will bring his daughter back then of course, there's nothing you can say.

So the only thing I can relate his depth of emotion to is the passion I feel for racial healing in this country. I started a Facebook group about it if you'd like to hear more. But I wrote this poem to honor my friend, and because I need some good grief myself.

Stop the world I wanna get off
And be with my friend whose daughter was lost
And solve the problems that racism caused
By shaking my finger at America and saying
Play nice with your brother!
And your daddy didn't mean it like that!
And we can't all just get along
When everything is broken like this and sometimes there is no inspiration
Sometimes your prayers for peace should have worked yesterday
Because there is no greater loss than that of a child that you brought into your world
Ask America
But don't ask me
Cuz only God knows
How to bring a dead soul
Back to life

No comments:

Post a Comment